Monday, July 18, 2005

Vacation Mind

So I'm heading off soon on vacation, and wondering how to get my mind to go along with me. With many projects on various burners -- back and front -- I don't even feel like vacationing. Ever have so many things you want to do that you're tempted to make it a writer's retreat instead of a vacation? Having let that happen once, I'm doing everything I can to get my mind to take its vacation, but I have a feeling it's going to have inspiration-lag. This is why I started the Airplane Poem series.

Cool thing happened to me today -- besides bonding in the purse aisle of my store with a total stranger, solving each other's longstanding purse issues -- a friend stopped me on my walk and recited his recent creation. It was an incredible poem -- called something like "What I Throw in the Grave." It was a top-of-head-off poem, beautiful, moving, spare, elegiac yet life-affirming. If I get a copy of it, I'll post it (with his permission).

That's a good day: one in which you hear/read a memorable poem. That's vacation mind.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on solving your longstanding purse issues. I have heard how that can be really distracting. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have difficulty disengaging from the everyday so that I can go on vacation. A quick reminder from my wife as we set off on our adventure is usually enough to get me to focus on the fact that the rest of the world will survive my relative absence for a week or two.

    It's what allowed me to chill out on a beach last December. I can't wait to do it again this year.

    ReplyDelete