Spacewalk

I guess what I wonder about is the idea of sending a manned mission to Mars. This seems to me an insanely unbalanced risk-reward equation. But looking at NASA's pictures of today's spacewalk to repair the shuttle gives me shivers of awe. I wonder what the astronaut who did this would say about whether the risk was worth the reward.

Space is unimportant from one perspective, namely that of the heart. But today's mind wants to be satisfied. Though after watching the program Cosmos by Carl Sagan over the weekend, I wonder what questions about our universe's origins worth asking are left to ask. We'll never penetrate farther back than the Big Bang.

And who cares if there are other human beings out there? I really, really don't. I have my mind full enough trying to imagine what's going to happen with the 64 billion and more that are popping up on this planet.