Sunday, August 27, 2006

Great Night for Humor and Poetry

Last night Berkeley's Freight and Salvage hosted Dan & Dale Zola's poetry-and-music event, "A Great Night of Soul Poetry." I missed it, but fortunately it can now be heard online. The performances are professional, lively and often hilarious.

My favorite is the rendering of Naomi Shihab Nye's "A Boy and His Mother at the Nutcracker." First runner-up: Billy Collins' "Child Development." Second runner-up: "Forgetfulness" by Billy Collins. There's some Rumi, some Mary Oliver, some William Stafford -- accessible stuff. The best are the funny pieces. Some of the serious ones don't work as well. I hope they're going to have more of these evenings. Best is to be in a live performance, second-best to listen online. Poetry performances should more often be combined with music.

2 comments:

  1. Dan Zola10:18 PM

    Hi,
    My name is Dan Zola and I am the co-produer of The Great Night of Soul Poetry. Thanks for saying the nice things about it in your blog. We are presenting a similar event,The Great Night of Rumi,also at The Freight on MAy 19. Hope you check it out.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, thanks for stopping by. I'm very happy to hear about the next event, and I'll put a notice up about it to help spread the word. I hope I can be there. We need more soul poetry (though is there really any other kind?).

    ReplyDelete