Friday, July 13, 2007

Facing the Book

I just joined Facebook. I have no idea why. Someone invited me. I'm a sucker for new trends, hate to be left behind. But no, I didn't line up to get my iPhone. I figure, let them work out the bugs and then I'll pony up the $500 + $1200 a year to be able to surf the Net with my thumbs while waiting in the doctor's office or in line at the grocery store.

Funny thing was, the minute I got on Facebook, I got a message from someone I had lost track of who's on sabbatical and in India. You figure if someone's halfway around the world and without an email address, you're out of touch. Not in this world, anymore.

Speaking of facing books, I'm facing the last tasks involved in getting my new chapbook together for publication. ANOTHER CIRCLE OF DELIGHT will be available from Small Poetry Press in September. Also from me directly, via my website or my snailmail waiting list. Please let me know if you want to be on the list to be notified. And I will personally hand deliver it, if you live in my neighborhood, or if you are in Washington, D.C., where's I'm heading soon.

Finally, does anyone have a suggestion for a good, portable, engaging airplane book? Nothing with explosions, thankyou, or espionage. Nothing with guns or dying pets. Preferably funny. Appreciate it!

And now, to return the favor in advance, my recommendation: Eat, Pray, Love. Nice, easy read. Funny. Poignant. No one dies or is seriously maimed. It's kind of like an Anne Lamott book, if Anne Lamott ever left the Bay Area and if Anne Lamott were into yoga.

9 comments:

  1. I'd like to be on that list, Rachel. When are you coming to DC? Let's do lunch, eh?

    I'm on Facebook now, too. It's a force of nature--one can't resist it for long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl -- Thanks for asking. You're on the list. I'm coming to DC to be in a seminar, and they hardly let us off the premises, sadly. I wish I could sneak away, but I'm only there 5 days and every day is full. Since I paid for this, I want to take full advantage. Thanks for the invitation, though! I'd like a raincheck (though I'm hoping not to see too much rain on our one-day excursion to Philadelphia).

    I guess I'll go with the Facebook flow and see where it takes me. I checked out poetry groups and found a dismal assortment, except for a group cohering around the magazine Image, which I've had work in.

    I promise that on my next DC trip, we'll get our lunch! Email me your address for the waiting list if you want to get the publisher's announcement by mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel,
    Thanks for stopping by at mythmother! It was great to see your comment. As you can see, I'm still in a primitive blogging phase, but getting my feet wet.

    Your website looks great, just getting better and better.

    As far as books, I just read the Audrey Hepburn biography by Donald Spoto. Not funny, but a great read. She was such a lovely person, great actress, and fellow Taurus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Primitive blogging -- I don't know, your site looks pretty sophisticated. All you need is a blogroll. At the bottom of my list of links is the link to BlogRolling, where you can get your own blogroll for free. Amazing, this blogging thing.

    I've always loved Audrey Hepburn. She seemed so genuine and compassionate. Yay, Tauruses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel,
    Have a great trip, BTW! I'll figure out blogroll, thanks for the tip!
    Best wishes,
    Reg

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's easy to resist FaceBook. They won't accept my name. They wanted a legit name and it beats me what formula they're using to determine which names are and aren't legit. So I gave 'em a legit name. Not mine, but someone's legit name .. and at that point I said, "WHAT am I doing?"

    I should have tried Jake Blues, I bet they would have taken that one.

    -blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jake Blues is a pretty cool name. It would be hard to prove Blues isn't a last name -- would be interesting to hear their argument. I still have no idea what I'm doing on Facebook. I received invitations from three teenagers in Texas to be accepted on FB as my "friends." No idea who they are, no discernible connection to poetry or prose, as far as I can tell.

    I'm beginning to feel a little old this. But hey, if I can find one more reader of poetry, it might be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly in Nebraska9:37 PM

    I adored Eat Pray Love, and had the delightful experience of meeting Liz Gilbert in Wyoming when she was putting the book together. She was at Ucross, I was at Jentel, and we all got together to tour each other's places and have dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly -- was she as funny in person as in the book? I really like her sense of humor. It's what carried me through the early pages and ripened as the book went on to a fine and insightful sense of self-observation. I can imagine having a delightful dinner with such a wit.

    ReplyDelete