Monday, July 14, 2008

Poetry ringtones and the Semi-Colon

Over at the FS&G blog, Best Words Best Order, I listened to poetry ringtones, including one recorded by former Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky. I would be embarrassed to have his growled ringtone going off in my purse in the dressing room at Nordstrom, though I admit I would feel fine in the same situation at the hearing Paul Muldoon's alluring Irish brogue. But where is Louise Gluck's poetry ringtone? Naomi Shihab Nye's? Is this just a guy thing? Would the women poets be too wordy?

I would stop my hectic day to listen to a long, complicated ringtone from Billy Collins.

****

Modern life has killed the semi-colon, Slate opines. The April Fool's hoax that started the discussion was to me less entertaining than the question of what the semi-colon can do that the dash cannot. But if the disappearing semi-colon perturbs you, check this out:

wuzup

n2m

well g/g c ya

If you can't read the above, you are in much bigger trouble than any semi-colon can fix. I can find a place where you download a ringtone of online-speak so you can practice. Or maybe you'd just like a text-message ringtone?

1 comment:

  1. ly once a month on topics ranging from the proper use of the semicolon to correct use of "effect" and "affect," "lay" and "lie," and "who" and "whom." Written by two experienced college English teachers, these articles explain issues related to English grammar, mechanics, and usage in clear, straightforward language that is easy to comprehend. Each writing tips is archived on the Get It Write Web site

    ReplyDelete