Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Late-night vs. early-morning writing

I have a night owl writer friend, and I have a 4-early-hours-every-day writer friend. Both claim their time zone as the most creatively stimulating. Ideas, especially poems, come to me at odd, odd times, mostly when I'm nowhere near a keyboard or pen. But 5 a.m. seems to contain a particularly vibrant quiet. Sometimes even 3 a.m. Now, the night owl and the early bird both claim 3 a.m., but if I stay up that late the clearest thought I will have is "Help!" And if I get up that early, I won't have any thoughts at all. Or at least not in words.

POLL:
Do you have a regular late-night or early-morning time you specially prize for writing?
If a night owl, how late do you actually write?
If a morning writer, how long between getting up and actually beginning to work?

Just curious. And at the moment (8 p.m. my time), I'm just beginning work on a project. Neither late nor early nor really any time at all.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a specific time - however, I always write my best stuff in the morning - whatever "the morning" is. Meaning, usually between 1-2 hours after waking up. I definitely think it has something to do with the "sleeping mind", the resting of the conscious mind in order to creatively awaken.

    For some reason, I used to always write poems in my head while in the shower. Hmm, nakedness and poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, the sleeping mind is somehow involved in creativity. Nakedness and poetry, that sounds metaphorical. For me, walking often triggers something. Morning walking, preferably, but evening or nighttime walks too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete