Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rockets and poems


Why aren't there more poems about rockets? I think of the shuttle crew up there repairing the Hubble Space Telescope right this minute. How amazing that is for the child of a rocket engineer in the 1950s. My dad spent most of his career just trying to create a rocket that could make it past the atmosphere. My father called home to his family on the world's first -- FIRST! -- satellite-bounced phone call (it didn't go through - network has always been the problem).

I wonder why there are almost no poems about space. Even my favorite science poet, Pattiann Rogers, has never written one that I know of. If anyone knows of a poem about space or missiles or satellites, please send it.

Of course, there is Gregory Corso's immortal:

Poem Rocket
Be a star-screwer!

Sent to Allen Ginsberg.

Doesn't quite do it for me.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:49 AM

    I have a number of unpublished satellite and space poems; it's difficult to find a market for them, at least in my experience. I'm happy to share them, if you'd like to read.

    Best,
    Mary
    ---
    http://www.pantoum.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I would adore to read them! Please send them. I see from your website that you are eminently qualified for such a creative venture as writing poems that include space and satellites. And I see you have also written a sci-fi novel. Is it available?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan Roth1:43 PM

    I actually do have a poem that mentions Russian space-shots and orbiting space garbage! (I agreek, though...we are living in the space-age; there should be more poetry about that sort of thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan Roth1:45 PM

    Ack! Where is the edit function?! I neglected to proofread that, and--naturally!--noticed a typo AFTER posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bryan, please send them! I love this, that there are actually rocket/space poems out there. Maybe we can get an anthology together someday.

    Typos are God's way of keeping us humble. No editing function I've ever found on these comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a fair amount of space poems written for children. I have a few myself.

    I'm not sure whether it's a "space" poem or not, but one of my favorites by Frost is "On Looking Up By Chance at the Constellations," which may qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we could find enough of them, I think an anthology would be a lot of fun. Maybe it's just my inner rocketkid talking, but space poems, especially for children, seems fresh and appealing as a topic. And broad enough to allow for a lot of interesting work. I'd love to see your space poems for kids, Bob, if you're willing to email me some.

    ReplyDelete