Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Poetry presses, getting published & the delightful ampersand

I've been in a lively discussion of poetry book contest publishing, the economics of the field, how to best support poetry, new paradigms of eBook publishing and more. It sparked my interest in the topic again, and I've updated my list of resources for poets seeking to publish without going the contest route:

Non-Contest Poetry Book Publishers - updated list

How much we have to spend to support a career in poetry! And why can't publishers of poetry books publish books a wider audience will want to buy? So often there's a lot of whining about low sales -- this is true everywhere in publishing but especially in poetry -- so why not look at what you're offering and make it fit the market better? Just a thought to consider.

Elsewhere, lively discussion of the ampersand (&) over at Dave Bonta's Via Negativa. I just love it when someone mentions the sensuality of a punctuation mark.

May your poetry day include lots of sensual punctuation.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkage.

    Ausable Press has effectively closed shop and has transferred their books to Copper Canyon, which includes them in its latest paper catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave, for the correction. I'll correct it on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The New California Poetry series is a curated series. All submissions are by invitation only. Unsolicited manuscripts will not be considered for publication. The open reading period for unsolicited manuscripts was discontinued in 2007."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I'll make that change on the page. Appreciate your letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel - I followed you here from wom-po. You sealed my heart with your experience of the ED fascicles; I'll have "the sensuality of a punctuation mark" on my mind all day! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lois, thanks for your comment and for carrying sensual punctuation into your day! Best, Rachel

    ReplyDelete