Editing a poetry manuscript & contests

Why would a poet, whose business is language, seek outside help with putting together a poetry manuscript? For me, the answer is complicated, but I can readily think of a one-word answer: contests. David Alpaugh, in his essay "What's Really Wrong with Poetry Contests?" cited discouraging statistics. Your manuscript, in each contest, may go up against 500 others, each more carefully groomed than the next. A misspelling, inexact punctuation, or grammatical error in the first few pages could be enough for the initial screener to toss it aside. That reader may have 50 manuscripts to review and be itching for an excuse. Never mind subtler issues, such as poor poem titles, a poem's draggy opening, too much telling, a poor close. In terms of contests, there are no guarantees. But at least I know I've eliminated about 100 reasons for a screener to toss my pages aside.