Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bloghopping + A Recommendation

The Smoking Poet is full of interesting work, including a poem, "Tarnish," by Jim Valvis that I very much like for its simplicity and subtlety. The issue includes a good interview with poet Derek Burleson and reviews of both poetry and prose books. They also have a unique feature "A Good Cause" in which they showcase a charitable project. This warms my fundraiser's heart!

I've had two of my poetry manuscripts edited, the first time I've done this. I'm really glad I did. Not only did it improve the manuscripts (and make me decide to put one on the back burner, needing further work), but it has already improved the responses I typically get from editors on both individual poems and the manuscript as a whole. Economical and well worth it if you consider the cost of contest fees.

Red C Services provides business and literary editing, as well as editing for students. Check it out. If you decide to try an editor, tell Bryan I sent you.

4 comments:

  1. With All Best Wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rachel, for your kind words about The Smoking Poet. My editors put a great deal of heart and thought into it ... it's wonderful to have that appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zinta, I'm so happy to pass on the word of your good work there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting blog.
    I invite you to contribute with your writings at CHMagazine.
    Best,
    Daniel D. Peaceman, writer and editor

    ReplyDelete