In My Purse Today: Writing Conferences

In my purse today: writing conferences, virtual and onsite. While the Associated Writing Programs 2014 Conference rages on in Seattle (the verb is apt), I was on a panel discussion of a wonderful online writing workshop on Facebook. I never left my comfortable chair to go through a security line and drafty airports, but I had the pleasure of conversing with poets from around the country on the topic of the places they write from, and how place influences our work. We came together for a fairly intense day from places as far apart as the California coastline, southern Florida, the upper Midwest, New Jersey, and the Pacific Northwest to discuss the visceral textures and sensory imprints Places have made on us as writers.

I'm going to write more about this wonderful daylong discussion, but for now, I'll just say I will from now on stop apologizing for writing about my childhood and the ocean. By the way, the AWP site has some great videos of writers talking about their process.

Labels: , , , , , ,