For the Birds

"Hope is the thing with feathers" led me in an interesting direction: a series of poems with birds in them. Inspired in part by Emily Dickinson's interest in birds and her many bird poems--which I found collected in a book called A Spicing of Birds --I wrote a series to decipher the messages I hear in the silver clamor of morning and evening birdsong.

One poem, "Year Year I First Heard Birdsong", found its way into Tinderbox Poetry Journal, alongside a terrific collection of poems by Marge Piercy, Arielle Greenberg, Sarah Blake, Kerri French, Theodore Worozbyt, and many others. I'm happy to say there are many birds in this issue, and I'm honored to have a poem from my new series in such a great place. Tinderbox is edited by Brett Elizabeth Jenkins, Molly Sutton Kiefer, and Jennifer Givhans.

Labels: , , ,