National Poetry Month

Why does it begin on April Fool's?

Infoplease.com has my favorite proposed theory of the origin of April Fools' Day:

Spring Fever

It is worth noting that many different cultures have had days of foolishness around the start of April, give or take a couple of weeks. The Romans had a festival named Hilaria on March 25, rejoicing in the resurrection of Attis. The Hindu calendar has Holi, and the Jewish calendar has Purim. Perhaps there's something about the time of year, with its turn from winter to spring, that lends itself to lighthearted celebrations.

Now that we've got that out of our systems, it's time to get serious about NaPoWriMo. Being addicted to overachieving (Kelli, I hereby apply for membership in the club), I wrote two poems this morning. My anxiety over not being able to complete the month-long exercise expresses itself in overdoing at the beginning, so that if I feel really desperate toward the end I have good material with which to cheat.

Which is funny: who's watching? I don't post all my poems in a workshop (deal with my muse), I haven't taken a pledge anywhere -- only my own confession could expose me if I fail. And yet I prepare to fudge the results.