Thursday, May 28, 2009
Bloghopping + summer reading
Sam Witt has a good article, Who Cares About Poetry? He quotes poet Charles Wright: "Poetry is a stairway to God." If that's even sometimes right, it's a good reason to buy a poetry book!
Redheaded Stepchild has a new issue up. The glorious mission of Malaika King Albrecht and Deborah Blakely's zine is to furnish a place for previously rejected poems. And what good poem hasn't made the rounds at least once? Some familiar names in this one.
Karen Weyant has a good-looking summer reading list up. An invitation to add to a summer reading lists has also appeared on Scott Summer's blog. So I'm inviting reading list suggestions here. I'll start the ball rolling with my current summer to-read list:
* Lincoln and Whitman: Parallel Lives in Civil War Washington - Daniel Epstein (read about their relationship at Lincoln's Cottage. (Confession: I've already read it and am about to begin rereading it immediately)
* Black Swan Green, by David Mitchell (tip from Chris Potter)
* Posthumous Keats - Stanley Plumly (anticipating the movie they're making about Keats)
* Emerson's essays
* Embryos & Idiots - Larissa Szporluk
* Fire to Fire - Mark Doty
* The Scenic Route - Binnie Kirschenbaum